Filming for this project always includes elements of what we know and have done before, and things we have never done or seen. This project fell inline with that completely. There is always the cramped spaces and the need to be very careful with the ceramic. The camera angles are always tricky and there is a carefully crafted technique for using the camera, both in first person shots and in third person that adds movement to the static ceramic.
This film added elements as well. For the first time we used the device of the flash back. This adds to the story telling and also breaks up long views of ceramics in conversation. Earlier posts discussed the extra requirements in building that these required, but they were also time-consuming in terms of filming. Many of them had separate small films for the magic boxes that had to be made before the scene could be set and filmed. Once this was complete, they could be filmed, but they continued to add challenged to the musical composition and to the editing because they break up the space and time that are sometimes required to edit or compose something cohesive.
Another addition to this film was a second camera. We acquired a Go-Pro this fall and used it for the first time in this production. It was especially effective in some of those flashbacks, where the extreme wide-angle added an interesting element to the memory aspect of Terry the Squirrel. The size of the Go-Pro was also useful in allowing us to go inside with the figurines and get shots that were impossible before.
The camera was not the only new piece of tech we used for this production. Video splitters and tiny TV’s replaced the cell phone tech that we have relied on in the past. This excellent innovation cuts cost significantly for the overall project and gives the houses a permanent solution to the video requirements. The splitter allowed us to run all 3 TV’s of the new house off the computer for the filming. This was huge as it allowed us to eliminate the constant pulling the phones out of their cases and trying to sync videos by pushing go at the same time. We will convert to inexpensive DVD players for the show in 2016.
Rather than recording the audio first as we have in the past, the voice audio came in about mid-project. In terms of filming and editing this was not ideal, but it did allow us to be more agile as the project developed. We made some late stage edits to the script that really made for a better film.
No matter how many tricks we employ, the real work of the film comes down to capturing the images and threading them together with script and music to create a cohesive art piece. This film satisfies our needs as artists to deliver a piece with integrity and direction that is watchable and entertaining. Stay tuned, we will release it quite soon.